Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Shopping!

Visit

Kathy arrived yesterday afternoon. We went out for dinner down in Boothbay Harbor and strolled around the village after dinner. There is so much to see and enjoy in Boothbay Harbor. We went to a restaurant called McSeagull’s for dinner. We sat outside and enjoyed the sunshine overlooking the harbor and all the different boats. We each enjoyed some type of seafood. Lobster stew is a must, as were the lobster filled mushrooms. We had plenty of good wine and lots of laughter to go along with it. McSeagull’s offers live entertainment and we stayed and enjoyed a bit of that for awhile as well.

The boardwalk offers stores of many types. There are typical tourist spots with tee shirts, candles, salt water taffy, and trinkets to remember your visit. Some of the shops offer handcrafted items – such as pottery, hand tied sailors knots in the form of trivets and coasters – COOL! There are also a couple of candy shops, an ice creamery and several boating tours and slips to observe people caring for their boats. It’s a great way to end a wonderful day after meandering along the shore – looking for sea glass and sea shells.

We returned to the cottage and built a fire. It’s amazing how chilly it becomes when the sun goes down! You can hear the fog horn blowing alerting ships of the dangers within the bay. It’s a sorrowful sound and almost hypnotic to listen to. We sat on the porch talking and laughing until late in the evening. God, it’s great to see her!

Shopping!

I got up relatively early and took a shower. I’m ready to start the day. Its overcast today and they are predicting rain this afternoon and evening. What a great day for shopping! After having coffee we headed out toward Damariscotta and Pemaquid. We stopped at a clothing store that I have been to in the past. The clothes are natural fibers – different colors and a great selection. They are a little pricey….but they are so unique…….it makes it fun. The women there are really helpful but not pushy…which is a huge plus in my book! I found a couple of outfits for work in the fall. Kathy found an outfit for her brother’s wedding. We left lighter in the wallet – but filled with joy at our purchases and the laughter we shared.
We continued driving to Pemaquid Lighthouse. The road seemed to go on forever. It was a fairly narrow road filled with houses and some antique shops. Just when you think the road will not end the sign for the lighthouse is there – and beyond that is the ocean. It is so typical of Maine! There is a very rocky shoreline and beyond that nothing but the open water. What an incredible view. It’s amazing to watch the waves roll and crash into the rocks.

We had lunch in the restaurant on site. I had lobster stew – of course! And a crab salad roll. Kathy had salad and a lobster roll. It was wonderful. The waitress was very friendly and seemed to have a way of endearing herself with all of her customers.
As we headed back towards Boothbay Harbor it started sprinkling with a little more intensity. We listened to Bonnie Raitt and Rick Redington and talked and laughed. It seems we need little to keep us smiling. It doesn’t seem possible that we have known each other for 31 years! She’s such a great friend!

We stopped at a pottery store in Edgecomb. It’s been around for quite some time and is actually quite pricey. The craftsmanship is amazing! I have a couple of small pieces and stop almost every year. They are truly talented and have a way of creating beautiful designs with their glazes. Some almost look crystal like in their design. I bought a stain glass lamp last year with a dragonfly theme. I love dragonflies! I was looking for something for my cousin’s son. He’s getting married in Sept. What do you get a couple of 19 year olds….They need everything! I could find a million things I would adore – but don’t know their taste or desires. I was hesitant to buy a piece and hope they’d understand and appreciate the craftsmanship and beauty. (That may sound petty……..I know) I decided to wait and see if there was something else I found that stikes my fancy for them. I can always come back.

Kathy and I ran into the village and went to Enchantments. It’s a different store for sure. They have anything magical you can imagine! Fairies, tarot cards, incense and music, candles and wind chimes, jewelry and other paraphernalia……….literally! It’s quite a place. I found a spun glass dragonfly which I had to have – as well as a fairy wind chime for my classroom.

By the time we left Enchantments it was pouring rain. We stopped at Hannaford’s and picked up some groceries. Got more wine – naturally. We picked up steaks to grill. Luckily, Phil has the grill on a porch that has an overhang so that the rain wouldn’t affect him. We also made a tomato, basil and mozzarella salad. To top it off, we shared some home baked bread Kathy brought up. It was wonderful!

We sat after dinner, watching the fire in the fireplace. It wasn’t cold as much as damp and the fire cut the dampness nicely. Phil had classical music playing in the background and sat and talked and laughed. We are planning on a clam back on Cabbage Island on Wed. I’m praying the rain will stop!

Life is good!

3 comments:

  1. I have loved reading your adventure. It makes it feel like I am there with you! Your descriptins are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can almost taste that salad! I also feel like I am right there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life is good indeed!! I love the way you take us with you and your friend in your strolls. I need to drive up to McSeagulls and tr those lobster mushrooms... YUM!

    ReplyDelete