Sunday, July 5, 2009

A Beginning


Maine has always been one of my favorite places for a variety of reasons. We visited Maine when I was a young girl - traveling with family and our pet Springer Spaniel, Betty. We'd visit the ocean - of course! - typically staying near Old Orchard Beach in cottages. It was more like a family reunion as well which only added to the excitement. As I grew older the family made less frequent trips to Maine. I visited the ocean all along the Atantic shore and certain isloated sections of the Pacific in CA, but none held the beauty of Maine.


In my early 20s I was re-introduced to Maine in a big way. I was taken on a trip to the mid-northern coast - the Bar Harbor area. We traveled along Route 1 and experienced the traffic delays, stopped for fried clams and lobster rolls, rested at the beach, trolled antique shops with old fashioned lobster traps and just had FUN!


Bar Harbor has its own charm. Its location - so far up the coast, has helped maintain its charm. Weather was cool but certainly wonderful - and the shops - oh the shops were filled with crafts from local artisans as well as the typical tourist tee shirts, starfish, and candles. The highlight of Bar Harbor at that time (for us) was a small bar/restaurant called Geddy's. It hadn't been open very long, and had a rustic, local feel. There were several license plates hanging all over inside, as well as hats.....hundreds of hats!


We stayed in a bed & breakfast in Southwest Harbor. It was a quaint, victorian styled building, and I remember it having a wrap around porch, and a wide staircase upon entering in the front. Little did I know, I would be reacquainted with this B&B about 25 years later! We stayed in the B&B as we missed the ferry to Swan's Island which was our ultimate destination. The person I was traveling with owned land on Swan's Island and wanted to share the island experience with me. I had no clue what I was in for.....but oh what a magical place.


It's about a 45 minute ferry ride, and upon arrival you disembark and follow one of the roads. Many people bring bikes or just hike. We brought my car. We stayed in a house that sat on a hill overlooking the water. You had to walk down the hill to reach the shore which was so typical Maine...rocky and rough with pines along the shore. When you reached the shoreline and looked to your right - you saw the lobster shack, (the image is above). It was a working facility with traps, buoys, lines - you name it. We could watch the boat come in and the fishermen unloading traps. It was so typical of Swans Island.
There were no restaurants, no hotels, no tourist shops. It was most definately a fishing community with the lobstermen's co-op in the central harbor, a library, elementary school, (high school students had to ferry to the mainland), a lighthouse and historical society. Everyone knew everyone and the history of their families, and how that impacted the island. It was very quickly apparent that life on Swans Island was unlike anything I had ever experienced - even growing up in a small New England town in Vermont didn't compare. Life here was rugged, isolated, hard and beautiful!
Jim's land was near the center of the island, near a pond. My poor little car bounced along the dirt road...more like a path....but made it! We experienced all the pond had to offer - complete with mosquitos, ducks, deer and rabbits. We collected pinecones....so many pinecones and shells. Lovely! We dined on lobster from the co-op, (I didn't dare walk down the planks to the deck where the boats were moored....silly girl!)
It was a magical journey, a beautiful trip, and most certainly the beginning of an enduring love for Maine and its coastline wonders!

7 comments:

  1. Mary Lou ~ Your imagery is so wonderful. It takes you right to Maine...especially the paragraph about Bar Harbor. I would love to have a day shopping there.

    What held your interest in Maine the first time that you went? Is there something special about the topography? Being on the West Coast, I have not been to Maine. We only made it up to Rhode Island, once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Lou, I found myself lost in your post wanting to visit and experience for myself all that you describe. I literally dream of retiring to Maine. I don't mean to some condominium association inland...I mean on the rugged coast as far away from the main stream tourist areas as possible. I want to wake up every day and drink my morning coffee watching the waves breaking off the rocky cliffs. Tell more about the lighthouse! I'm fascinated with lighthouses. I love Cape Neddick in York, ME. I think Pete's Dragon has had a tremendous influence on my fantasy of living on the ocean - I've always wanted to live in a lighthouse! Keep writing, Mary Lou!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Lou,

    Now I want to visit Maine! I've never been there and it is on my list of places to visit. I've only been as far as New York on the east coast. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary Lou,
    I sure enjoyed reading about Maine - it's my absolute favorite place to visit, and I'm lucky enough to do it once or twice a year when I visit my sister. I don't think there is anything more beautiful than the coast, with its tall, graceful pines meeting the rocky shore. Your blog is very evocative - it makes me wish I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning all,
    Thank you for all your wonderful comments. Maine is truly one of my very favorite places to visit. Acadia, Bar Harbor and Swans Island hold a very special place in my heart....but al of the Maine coast is very dear to me. I'll be adding more adventures, pictures and memories very soon. I am also looking forward to adding this years trip here as well! We return to Ocean Point, near Boothbay Harbor, each July! I can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ML,I, too, enjoyed hearing about your Maine times! The piece (so far?) seems like an introduction to your times. I'm looking forward to hearing more about your adventures. Here are a couple of thoughts...I wonder if you could add a map of the ME coast and somehow pinpoint the spots you've been on your Maine journeys. Also, I love how in the last three paragraphs you describe something then use, "..." and write an exclamation type remark. Maybe you want to make that more of a pattern in your piece.

    I wanted to leave you a comment to tell you that your blog looks great, to ensure I could comment and to tell you to "write on!". I won't be commenting regularly as I'll leave that for your Writers' Workshop Blog Group. Once in a while I'll peak just to see how things are going and the progression things take in everyone's blogging. Keep up the noticing of the day to day occurrences around you, the thinking & the writing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary Lou, you have done an incredible job in this blog, both with images but most importantly with your words!! I hope one day I get to produce something as evoking as your piece! Thanks

    ReplyDelete