Monday, July 20, 2009

Mike

We arrived! It's always an exciting drive. It was made more exciting by visiting Mike's college for orientation. He will be starting at the Fire Science program at the academy at the end of next month. I couldn't miss his orientation - so we all went - cars packed, Libby along for the ride. The orientation was wonderful. I was very impressed by the school and particularly the number of services available to the students.

Mike has always been our 'miracle man'. He was born 5 weeks early, but a healthy 6 pounds. I have fought for him - with him forever........that's a mom thing. I have always been grateful for my background experience as it has helped tremendously with Spec. Ed. services, doctors, etc. Mike has a visual processing deficit, dysgraphia and ADHD. He has grown into a fine young man - young socially - but a wonderful and caring guy! (Not that I'm proud at all! :))

I have a booklet he made in the second grade - where they were talking about what they wanted to do when they grew up. He said he wanted to be a Fireman and help save lives. He has never looked back. He volunteers on two fire departments, the Sullivan and Nelson Fire Departments. He has lights on his truck, his own helmet and turn out gear, (the big yellow suit!) and all the rest. He is almost as proud as I am!

He has completed Fire I which was sponsored through the Sullivan Dept. I remember asking him why he was so excited about completing this course. I wanted to know what that would bring him - why it was so important to him. He replied, "Mom, instead of helping keep things cool outside the buildings - with equipment and people - now I can go into the fire and actually work on the fire." And this is something that should make me happy? Smile

He recently trained at a 'live burn'. It's where they practice on a supervised intentional structure fire. He asked before he left if I was nervous or would worry. Of Course!!!! I reminded him that as a Mom - we worry each time they walk out of the house. I have to believe that he will listen to instructions - follow directions and use his training to keep him safe. Or I'd go crazy!!!!!

I'm very proud of him and of course will be proud to assist him as much as I can with his dreams.
This picture is from a recent parade. Mike is giving us the wave.

3 comments:

  1. Mary Lou,

    Way to go Mom! Your description of your son are wonderful and poingnant. I can tell you are very proud of him (as you should be!).

    I can also tell that you love the cottage, lobster stew, and all the ambience of Maine. All the food you describe sounds delicious!

    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, ML! You must be feeling really proud. It seems like a wonderful way to start a vacation, being part of his next phase of life. I have never heard of a fire-science degree. What options does it open for careers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi all,
    Thanks for your wonderful comments. Fire Science is recommended for most Fire Fighters. Fire Science is also a stepping stone for Fire Investigation. The science has gotten quite involved with chemistry and the nature of fire combustibles, etc. It's much more involved than I ever thought.
    We are proud!
    ML

    ReplyDelete